check what the LIVERPOOL PSYCH FEST wrote about it http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/zyne/pzykmix-thalassa-2016/
The term ‘Italian Occult Psychedelia’ came from an article published in 2012 in Italian music magazine Blow Up by Antonio Ciarletta, which documented an oft-overlooked local scene that eventually spawned the Thalassa festival.
IOR was deemed, by Ciarletta, to be faintly sinister music with a general psychedelic vibe performed by a clutch of underground Italian musicians. Though varied, the music produced by In Zaire, Heroin In Tahiti, Mamuthones, Mai Mai Mai and Cannibal Movie shares several common identities: informed by traditional Italian atmospherics found in 60s and 70s Spaghetti Western and giallo movie soundtracks; a Mediterranean approach to the Anglo-American stereotypes of psychedelic music and a rediscovery of the local psychedelic tradition of the past; a fascination for some of the darkest aspects of Italian culture and society (Catholicism in its most archaic aspects, neorealism, ‘sun and violence’); and a sort of ‘mondo aesthetic’, which relates to the Italian Mondo Movies tradition (exotic names, imaginary takes on different cultures, cannibals and Hawaiian dancers).
In this mix, our tour guide Mai Mai Mai takes us on a journey through some of these influences: ENNIO MORRICONE, PIERO UMILIANI, BRUNO NICOLAI, AKTUALA and EGISTO MACCHI. Its focus is on the Italian experimental music of the 70s (library music, soundtracks, Italoprog, weird stuff), which are a big part of the roots of ‘Italian occult psychedelia’.
Over the past three years, the venue Dal Verme in Rome has been the headquarters of this scene and the main place for experimental sounds in Italy. From here, the main protagonists dreamt up a sort of Italo-occult three-day festival: Thalassa. Over this period, the aforementioned artists – who are very much associated with this movement – have all played the festival, as well as exporting the message worldwide.
This year, the fourth Edition of Thalassa is dedicated to the ten-year anniversary of groundbreaking Italian label BORING MACHINES, and it will take place between March 31st and April 2nd 2016 at DalVerme.
01. Roberto Cacciapaglia - Sonanze 1st and 2nd movements
02. Ennio Morricone - Il Mercenario
03. Francesco de Masi - Suspance and Murder
04. Bruno Nicolai - Invasamento
05. Aktuala - Altamira
06. Lino Capra Vaccina - Voce in XY
07. Roberto Cacciapaglia - Sonanze 8th movement
08. Piero Umiliani - Automa
09. Gruppo Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza - Kate
10. Egisto Macchi - Chambre Anachronique
11. Bruno Nicolai - Insidia
12. Braen's Machine - Flying
13. Piero Umiliani - Tamburi Sacri
14. Egisto Macchi - Cammelli
15. Piero Umiliani - Canoe
16. Aktuala - Echo Raga
17. Fabio Frizzi - Verso l'Ignoto
18. Ennio Morricone - Indagine su un Cittadino al di Sopra di Ogni Sospetto
19. Walter Rizzati - Quella Villa
20. Alessandro Alessandroni - Stozzatrice
21. Piero Umiliani - Jingle nr.1
22. Futuro Antico - Schirak
23. Piero Umiliani - Oasi
24. Telaio Magnetico - Live 75 Part V